Friday, August 13, 2010

SHA-ZAM!

Boo YAH! After months of stressing out and worrying over having to work at Staples for the rest of my life, I was finally given a job offer today! It's a teaching assistant position at a middle school, and while it's not entirely what I may have wanted, it's still a job, and it gets my foot in the door. I'm more excited to finally be able to tell Staples to shove it, as I've only been there about a month now and I already hate it. It's going to be interesting telling them that I'm leaving so soon though. Oh well, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll tell me to leave earlier.  God knows I'm going to have enough on my plate trying to get into school mode.
Anyways, not only did I have two job interviews this week, which led to this amazing news, I also saw two movies this week. Two very, very different movies. On to the reviews!

The Other Guys (2010)
Director: Adam McKay
Starring: Will Ferrel, Mark Wahlberg, Michael Keaton
Well, well, well, what a pleasant surprise. I'll admit, I was starting to grow tired of Will Ferrell's shtick by now, but this movie was hilarious! What worked about this movie was that it seemed like a regular cop movie with Will Ferrel's character thrown in the mix. The threat was actually something real world (it involved insider trading and other bank schemes), and Wahlberg's character was almost like the less successful cousin of his character in The Departed. Michael Keaton steals that show as their captain, who is constantly exasperated by the antics of these two wannabe cops (whether he means to look it or not). This is definitely the funniest movie of the summer. 3 1/2  Keaton eyebrows out of 4




The Expendables (2010)
Director: Sylvester Stallone
Starring: Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren
Holy god, action movies are BACK! The Expendables is the most manly movie I've ever seen. The action scenes are completely over the top, the dialogue corny as hell, and the plot is thinner than a wafer cracker, but my god if this wasn't one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a theater. This movie was a release of all of the pent-up aggresion and testosterone that has been missing from American cinema since the late 90's. Everyone in this movie had their moment to shine, and by far the coolest character was Statham. My only wish is that we could've had MORE members of the Expendables team, but that's for a sequel. Which I hope to god they make. If you are a man you need to see this movie!!!!!
4 Mickey Rourke cowboy hats out of 4 

You may be wondering where my Scott Pilgrim vs. The World review is. Well, unfortunately it's probably going to be a little while until I can catch it. I've got Monday and Tuesday off, so depending on what I need to do for North Hampton middle school I'll try to check it out on one of those days.

1 comment: