Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Big Day Today

Right now I'm taking a breather before I have to close at Staples tonight.  However, I've got some good news in the form of an interview next Thursday at Marshwood High School in South Berwick. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check, but I'm really hoping it goes well. I mean, Staples isn't bad or anything, but I'd really like to have a job where I don't have to work till 10, or, you know, in something that I actually have a degree in.
Anyways, it's Wednesday!!!!!!!

                                                         S.H.I.E.L.D. # 3
Good god, Jonathan Hickman is insane. S.H.I.E.L.D.'s basic premise is that the organization that polices the Marvel Universe has been around for centuries, and boasts members such as Leonardo Da Vinci, Sir Isaac Newton, and Nostradamus. These illustrious men have fought back threats like Galactus and The Brood for centuries, and act as a safeguard for humanity to preserve our species.  The previous issue was extremely hard to follow, but thankfully issue 3 is a much easier read, mainly because it gives us some back story on Isaac Newton's character and how he came to be involved in the organization.  His story is not one that you would expect, and Hickman's talent of throwing extremely bizarre ideas in a plausible way for the reader works especially well in this issue. You'll see why, as I don't want to spoil it for you. S.H.I.E.L.D. is a smart read for those looking for something a little different in their superhero comics, and a top pick whenever I get it in my pull list.



Shadowland #2 (of 5)
Shadowland is the new Marvel "mini-event" running through Daredevil and a few one-shots. The premise is fairly simple: Daredevil has become the leader of The Hand ninja clan, and in doing so has become eeeeevvviiilllll. The Daredevil issues leading up to this event did an excellent job showcasing Matt Murdock's struggle with trying to use The Hand clan for good after centuries of completing evil deeds for their masters, but I was personally a little let down by the way that DD has become "evil". This issue was a little dull, up until the final few pages, and something feels a little off here. Maybe it's because I've never been that big of a Daredevil fan, or maybe it's that I don't fully buy the turn that Murdock has made, but I'm wondering if I want to keep up with this or not. Right now it's looking like issue 3 will be the deciding factor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment