Thursday, August 19, 2010

Rockin' and Rollin'

What another mind-numbingly long day at Staples. Thankfully today was my last 8 hour shift there EVER, and all I have is ten hours until freedom...and a new job. Tomorrow is going to be a rather busy day, hence why I'm posting today and not tomorrow. Since I'm posting a day in advance, how about I post about something I was going to talk about yesterday? That's right, NEW COMIC REVIEWS!

Wolverine: Weapon X #16
Just as I was ready to give up on this series, writer Jason Aaron throws this issue at me. Aaron is one of my top writers at Marvel, even though the previous storyline in Wolvie's series was stretched reaaaaalll thin.
Aaron's spot on characterization of Logan once again makes this a must read. This single issue story(which are becoming more and more rare in comics these days) deals with the recent death of SPOILER!!! Nightcrawler SPOILER!!!! during the "Second Coming" story arc. I've been trade waiting that storyline, but the previous two were rock solid, and not knowing the intricate details to that storyline does not lessen the impact that this issue has.
As per his friend's dying wish, Logan must bring a piano to a monestary in Venezuela. That is located on top of a mountain. Logan's stubbornness and devotion to his friend means that he's going to bring it there, even if it takes him 8 days (it does). Along the way, we are given flashbacks to Logan and Nightcrawler's many interactions, and Aaron not only gives an amazing portrayal of Wolverine here, but Nightcrawler as well. While I am upset that one of my favorite X-Men was killed off, this issue serves as a great eulogy for the "blue elf". Plus, he'll be back, cause it's a comic book, and no one ever dies in comic books.

Ultimate Avengers 2 #6 (of 6)
Holy crap. Once again, Mark Millar shows us how he's the "Michael Bay" of comics, as Nick Fury's black ops team confronts (or more like watches) Ghost Rider, who've they've been tracking the entire second volume. This issue sees Johnny Blaze do battle with the man who sacrificed his girlfriend, who also turns out to be the vice president of the United States, who also becomes his own Ghost Rider as well.
The action in this issue is straight up, balls to the wall insanity, and I loved every minute of it. I especially liked the ultimate version of Ghost Rider, and I hope to god he gets spun off into his own mini-series or ongoing, cause he was awesome in this. I also really liked the British Hulk, even if all of these Hulk "variants" are getting a little out of hand. His backstory though is extremely interesting and begs to be fleshed out. All in all I really enjoyed this team, and I can't wait to see what Mr. Millar does with them, whether it will be in Ultimate Avengers 3 or some other book. I just really want more Ultimate Ghost Rider.
 

1 comment:

  1. um there were so many spoilers after your spoiler warning ended. so many.

    do you have a posting schedule? :)

    ReplyDelete