Wednesday, December 8, 2010

You've Unlocked The Blog Badge!

So far the most things I have done with my awesome new phone are playing Angry Birds and annoying the hell out of everyone I know with Four Square. I've acquired two mayorships, and I'm hopefully going to have two more by week's end. My plans for global domination are finally coming to fruition. While I wait for my robot drones to arrive, here are some NEW COMIC REVIEWS!!!!


"Got your nose..."
What If: Wolverine: Father

 We're going to continue to look at Marvel's "What If" output this week, mainly because I only picked up three books this week (it was a super light week for me). This installment focuses on the relationship between Wolverine and his son Daken, the mohawked, maybe bisexual "Dark Wolverine". Daken is a character that I know only the main characteristics of, as the only book I've read that had him in it continually was Brian Michael Bendis and Mike Deodato's phenomenal Dark Avengers series.  This issue asks the question of "What If Wolverine had arrived right after his wife Itsu was murdered?", and paints a very different picture of the man we know as Logan...or James Howlett.
 
After murdering his wife's killer (a still "Winter Soldiered" Bucky Barnes), Logan saves the life of Daken and takes him to the remote hills in Japan. Naming him John, Logan teaches his son the ways of living off the land, but senses something dark about his son. We get some very good character moments from Logan, and I found it extremely interesting to see this character that I (and many others) have known for so long as a fierce warrior act as a loving and caring father. Of course, after a visit from Sabretooth everything goes south, and John disappears, becoming a Yakuza enforcer named "Daken". Eventually Logan tracks him down, and confronts him as only Logan can. 
 
This issue was another great one and done story, but I don't think that readers who aren't familiar with the character of Daken will enjoy the story as much. The art from Greg Tocchini also had some very awkward moments, which made me wonder if there was more than one artist on the book.  However, it wasn't terrible, and if you can look past the odd panel or too you'll get a pretty enjoyable comic.



No! This "spider-man" kiss is all wrong!
Superboy #2

Jeff Lemire's Superboy relaunch continues this month, as the boy of steel is confronted by Poison Ivy, who is asking for his help regarding her loss of powers. The Sweet Tooth writer has a very strong grasp on the characters he's writing, and the art by Pier Gallo is oddly enjoyable (at least to me).  The mystery surrounding what is going on in the town of Smallville is also gaining more and more layers.

While I do enjoy the book, there's nothing that's really grabbing me to keep reading. I've heard great things about Sweet Tooth, and I do plan on picking it up. I think perhaps my lack of interest in the title isn't in Lemire's writing or the artwork, which I've already mentioned that I've enjoyed, I think it's more that I've never really been all that interested in Superboy. The most I've read of the character was in Geoff Johns' Teen Titans run, and he was "dead" for most of that. Fans of the character will probably love this take on the character, but I for one will probably be waiting for the trade.    

1 comment:

  1. Poison Ivy and Superboy? Where is Batman??

    ReplyDelete