Thursday, December 2, 2010

Loooooong Day

Man today was crazy. Since new comics came out today instead of yesterday, I had to book it up to Jetpack Comics after running the homework club. My feet are destroying me right now. Anyways, it's an all Marvel edition of comic book reviews!!!

This cover is a LIE! A LIIIEEE!!
Heroes For Hire #1

While I didn't have high hopes for this new relaunch of the Heroes For Hire series, I was optimistic in the fact that Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning were writing it, and I was hoping that they would be able to spin the same magic that they conjured on the "cosmic Marvel"  on Marvel's vigilante group.

Unfortunately this issue suffers from the good old "not giving us what is promised on the cover" routine. Let's see, on the cover we see Ghost Rider (a personal favorite) right dead and center, with The Punisher behind him. Those two are arguably the most popular characters on the team, and with good ol' flamehead not having a series of his own, people like myself would be inclined to pick this up to get their Ghost Rider fix (not counting the god-awful Shadowland tie-in).

Well guess WHAT? He's nowhere to be found in the book. Neither is The Punisher. The plot follows Falcon, Black Widow, Moon Knight, and Elektra as they prevent a dealer from pushing some Atlantean drug that's super addictive for humans. While the action depicted by artist Brad Walker is well done, I gotta say, the twist at the end was pretty weak, at least in my opnion. Add that to the fact that one of my favorite heroes who doesn't have a series right now never even appears within the issue, and I hate to say it, but I'm passing on the next issue. Heroes For Hire fans though will probably love it just because there's a new book out. More power to them.



Should've used ProActive man....
What If?: Iron Man: Demon In An Armor

I have a confession to make. One of my favorite series growing up was Marvel's What If? comic, which took many popular stories and asked that simple title question. Many were complete garbage, but more times than not, they were extremely fun one-and-done stories that often presented really cool and unique alternate worlds and stories. Luckily for me Marvel has brought back the series seemingly every year, using it as a way to show current popular storylines in a new light.

While this issue isn't based off of any storyline in particular, it does ask the question of "What would happen if Tony Stark and Victor Von Doom were college roommates?", as opposed to Reed Richards being VVD's bunk buddy. While the concept behind the issue is a little ridiculous (swapping brains is a bit much for even a comic book), there's a sense of fun and absurdity to this comic that I feel is missing from a lot of books these days. This issue was a great throwback to the Marvel Comics of old, and a pretty entertaining story for fans of both Doom and Iron Man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment