Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Comic Reviews: Luther Strode! Superior! The Walking Dead!

COMIC REVIEWS!!!
 This week we're taking a break from Marvel and DC. Instead, here's some indie reviews.


The Strange Talent of Luther Strode #1 (of 6)

Image's latest mini series is The Strange Talent of Luther Strode, and my god is it VIOLENT. Written by Justin Jordan and drawn by Tradd Moore, Luther Strode tells the story of your average nerdy teen, who, after taking part in an "Atlas" type fitness routine, is granted superpowers.

The first issue opens with Strode BRUTALLY killing a group of lowlifes, and I mean every captalized letter of what I just wrote. Seriously this is one of the goriest comics I've ever read in my life, and I loved every minute of it. Moore's vaguely cartoonish style is a great contrast to the violence, and in a lot of ways he reminded me of Invincible artist Ryan Ottley. My jaw fell open more times than once reading this book, and Moore is now definitely on my watch list.  Justin Jordan's script is great as well, as it taps into the feeling that everyone has about wanting to be more powerful than you are. Jordan goes to great lengths to make us sympathize with Luther, and he takes a fantastic job, all in one issue!

Seeing as how I picked up Luther Strode on a whim, I wasn't expecting anything from the book at all. Thankfully I really enjoyed this book, and I cannot wait for the next issue. If you're looking for something new and different to spice up your pull list, The Strange Talent Of Luther Strode is the perfect book. Just be warned, it's super violent. More violent than even Kick-Ass 2 (yep, I said it.).



Superior #5 (0f 6)

Mark Millar is definitely making up for lost time. Like a student who hasn't done any homework who suddenly realizes how bad his grades are, Millar has been cranking out issues for both Kick-Ass 2 and Superior. Both books have been extremely late, but Superior, drawn by Leinil Yu, definitely beats KA 2 in the tardy department. This issue finally delivers on the promise of last issue, with Superior traveling to Afghanistan, and man, does it kick ass. Superior dismantles the Taliban and helps rebuild not only Afghanistan, but the entire world in a few days. He delivers food to Africa, helps stave off a flood in Australia, and even saves the world from a meteor attack. Millar definitely brings it in this issue, and Yu's art captured Superior's efforts perfectly. Luckily we don't have to wait too long for the final issue, as Millar and Yu definitely leave you hanging. As for this issue, it was totally worth the wait.



The Walking Dead #89

SERIOUSLY. Read this series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment