Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Comic Reviews: Captain America! Fearsome Four!

Comic Reviews!!!!

Captain America #2

Ed Brubaker and Steve McNiven continue the adventures of Steve Rodgers in the second issue of the new Captain America ongoing. When we last left the star-spangled avenger, he, along with Sharon Carter and Nick Fury, were trying to locate a Hydra base that contained a very dangerous secret from Cap's WW2 days. Brubaker keeps the action quick and exciting, and McNiven's art, as always, shines. There were many times during the book that I would stop where I was on the page and just stare at his art. McNiven is truly one of the best artists out there, and this book continues his winning streak.

One of the reasons why Captain America works so well is that it encompasses the same espionage feeling that I got reading Brubaker's work years ago. While I may have fell off the Captain America bandwagon a few years back, this book is just what I needed to get back into the swing of things. While some may not like that this book doesn't deal with the current Marvel landscape, I think it's a very good thing, especially when you consider that this book is designed for people picking up the book walking out of the Cap movie. Brubaker has promised that we will see the fallout of recent events in future issues, so for now let's bask in the fact that we have yet another great issue of Captain America on the stands, shall we?


Fear Itself: Fearsome Four #3 (of 4)

For those of you who don't know, I love the New Fantastic Four. Created in the 90's, the temporary team consisted of Spider-man, Ghost Rider, Hulk, and Wolverine, and while they were only fighting together for a few issues, those issues were awesome. So imagine my excitement when I saw this issue on the shelves, with that awesome foursome on the cover! It was more than enough reasons for me to plop my $2.99 down on Fear Itself: Fearsome Four, a Fear Itself tie-in that I have had no involvement with at all. Apparently the Fearsome Four is Howard The Duck, She-Hulk, Frankenstein, and Nighthawk, and they are fighting Man-Thing and Psycho-man. I guess Psycho-man can bring people from other realities into our own, hence why the New FF shows up. What follows is the New FF throwing down the with the Fearsome Four, and it surprisingly takes up the whole issue. While it won't make me run out and buy the other issues, FI: FF  was a fun read, and makes me wish for a What If? mini-series starring my favorite incarnation of the Fantastic Four.

No comments:

Post a Comment