Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A "Superior" Set Of Reviews....get it....anybody?

Bronson vs. Batman
Before I get into this week's news, something amazing was announced for nerds everywhere. Tom Hardy, who previously worked with Christopher Nolan in Inception, was just added to the cast of the next Nolan "Batman" movie. There is no word on who he'll play, only that it will be a "lead role". My hope is that he's the guy who finally brings Black Mask to life on the big screen. But anyways......

Also, Rhys Ifans will be playing The Lizard in the Spider-man reboot. Sorry Dylan Baker. As much as it sucks that you won't be turning into a giant green lizard, I have always wanted to see Dr. Connor's inhuman side on the big screen. 



WEDNESDAY COMIC REVIEWS!!!!

Superior #1
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the newest Mark Millar movie pitch comic book, Superior. I will admit, I had no idea what this title was going to entail when I first picked it up, especially when the Wizard magazine story revealed absolutely nothing about the plot. So for the first time in what seems like forever, I opened a comic book with no hype or preconceived ideas about the plot.

I won't get into spoiler territory, but this first issue definitely throws you for a loop, and it asks just enough questions to keep me interested and intrigued to pick up the next issue. While the issue sets up the typical Mark Millar cuss-filled dialogue, it seems that the violence of Kick-Ass and Nemesis won't be featured as much in this series. Of course now that I just wrote that the next issue will probably have someone getting punched through the face.

Leinil Yu's artwork is some of the best he has done in the issue, and I'm glad that he's outgrown the "ape faces" that used to make up his work. I had to check the cover on the front of the book twice to make sure that it was the same guy who drew Secret Invasion. If you're looking for a new series to pick up, or are a fan of Mark Millar, then what are you doing? Pick this up!


Batman: The Return Of Bruce Wayne # 5 (of 6)
Oh hey Return Of Bruce Wayne. Long time no read. While I have missed being extremely confused by you, I have to say, I didn't really miss your absence, seeing as how DC has made it a point to tell everyone and their mother that Bruce Wayne will be back as Batman in the next few months. Anyways, this issue finds Bruce being transported to the near past,  and taking up the guise of a detective. Playing up the "detective" side of Batman, this issue finds Wayne assisting in the murder case...of his parents. We also get a little more exposition from the Justice League in which we learn that when Bruce Wayne returns to the present day he will "rip a hole" in time.

It's an intriguing start to the issue, and while Grant Morrison starts to make a semi-readable issue, guess what happens? Yep, you get real confused real quick. From what I gathered, this issue ties into the "Black Glove" and "Dr. Hurt" storyline in a sort of "Bruce Wayne: Noir" setting. While there were some more answers (I think the whole "framing the Waynes" subplot from R.I.P. was officially revealed as a set-up job) I once again feel like I'm missing something from this story. The art by Ryan Sook was good, and while he's no Frank Quitely or Fraser Irving, he does do an adequate job of evoking a 1920's noir style.

A reviewer on "Ain't It Cool News" said in his review of the new Grant Morrison documentary that he feels that Morrison writes stories that he understands, but that aren't necessarily clear for the reader. I cannot agree more with that reviewer. While I am a fan of Morrison, his recent stuff has left me so confused that I'm finding it hard to recommend it to readers. And the things that I've heard about "Batman, Inc." don't exactly fill me with confidence. If you've been following this miniseries so far, there's not point in stopping now, especially with only one more issue to go.

1 comment: